Hiking on the Appalachian Trail in
The Appalachian Trail (AT) is managed as a "primitive footpath". Hikers are expected to be self-reliant, and to carry appropriate
equipment for the season and terrain.
Because the AT can be very busy, we ask all hikers to respect the trail, overnight sites, and their fellow
travelers. The Appalachian Mountain Club Connecticut Chapter in partnership with the Connecticut Department of
Energy and Environmental Protection established the following guidelines and regulations to aid in that effort:
- Camping is permitted only at designated sites as
shown on the map.
- Shelters and campsites are available on a first-come first-served basis. Maximum stay at one
overnight site is 2 nights.
- Open fires are never permitted on the trail in Connecticut. Always use
- All campsites have privies. Some privies use a composting process to reduce
odor and waste. Please read and follow the posted instructions. Do not throw
trash or food into any privy as it impedes the privy's performance.
- Water sources are near each campsite. Some campsite water sources may dry up at certain times of year.
prepare accordingly. Boil,
filter or chemically treat all water from backcountry sources.
- Do not leave trash or food at campsites or shelters. Carry in, carry out.
- Some overnight sites have steel boxes to keep food away from bears and other animals. Use them!
- Day hiking group size is limited to no more than 25 hikers.
- Overnight groups are limited to no more than 10 and should use the group
- Please respect your fellow hikers, and limit noise and activity after 8:00 P.M.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted in State Forests and Parks.
- Practice Leave No Trace™ principles.
- Groups should plan to use tents. Long distance and individual hikers have priority for shelter use.
Group leaders should review the Group Hiking on the AT
page and then
contact the AMC Ridgerunner Coordinator (see below) for more information and to avoid
conflict and overcrowding.
Please: Carry out all that
you carry in!
AMC Ridgerunner Coordinator (2016)
Email: [Click to reveal email]
Cellphone: (413) 528-8003